Tuesday, December 5, 2017

New shoes for Nanny

Ten years ago when my grandfather passed away I was put on Nanny duty. Being one of the only adult grandchildren that wasn't married and didn't have children of their own made me available for the honor of being her chauffeur.

I took her to the beauty shop to get her hair set,
to the mall to pick out lipstick,
and to DSW to look for shoes.

Back then I had no idea what she was feeling in those moments. Your body is there going through the motions, but your mind is somewhere else. It is as if you are watching everything play out from above. I know now because almost 8 months ago I had my own similar but different experience preparing to bury someone I love.

Yesterday I found myself wandering around DSW once again.
This time I was alone.
This time I was the one looking for new dress shoes.
This time it was for me to wear to Nanny's funeral.

Nanny loved so well.
She prayed.
She read.
She laughed.
She bought the perfect gift every.single.time.
She was stubborn.
She was loyal.
She was always perfectly put together.

She was amazing and she's forever mine.

Well done, Nanny.
We love you.

"Her children rise up and call her blessed;
     her husband also, and he praises her:
'Many women have done excellently,
     but you surpass them all.'
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
     but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
Proverbs 31:28-30