Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Words

Yesterday I was reminded of the power of words.

My family gathered to celebrate a life well lived.
My grandmother made it to 94.
She lived and loved well.
Words of honor, love, and praise flowed freely yesterday.
It wasn't just family.
Her hair dresser, manicurist, neighbors, and even her gas station attendent all showed up at some point in the two days of celebration.

I got to embrace another mother that lost a baby just like we lost Naomi.
She reached out to me on Facebook months ago to tell me her story and yesterday she sang at the funeral.
It was beautiful to speak face to face and share our sorrow and hope, even if just for a moment.

I finally made my way into the reception after most of the crowd had cleared.
A woman approached me that I've never seen or heard of before.
She explained she's wanted to speak with me for a while.
She lost a baby in the same way 28 years ago.
With tears in her eyes she spoke words over me that only someone who has walked this road could offer.
Words I've been praying for and longing to hear.
I began to cry, embraced her, and thanked her.

We made it back to Denver late in the night.
On the shuttle to our car a man jokingly told the boys,
"Be glad you have a brother and not a sister."
My heart dropped.
I glanced at Brady and he was just starting at the man.
Brady doesn't miss anything.
He hasn't brought it up yet.
I'm hoping he was too tired for it to really sink in.

Our words are powerful.
They can offer healing and they can cut to the core.

May I be a woman that speaks life giving words.

May I be considerate in all I say and not seek a laugh at the expense of others.

May I be a mother that is patient and kind even when I'm tired and want to yell in frustration.

And in the end of my life may the gas station attendent feel special enough to show up at my funeral.

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths,
but only such as is good for building up,
as fits the occasion,
that it may give grace to those who hear."
Ephesians 4:29