Disclaimer: If you missed my rant yesterday and if you haven't talked to me in the past two days then you should go back and read it...if you dare. This post is basically part two.
We went to Easter service at church this afternoon. The pastor's message was about not getting stuck on Friday. Based on yesterday's blog post you all know I really need to not get stuck on Friday!
He talked about life being a series of problems: we are either coming out of one, in one, or heading into one. If we let our problems consume us we will miss out on the beauty of what God has done for us. The story did not end with Friday because when Sunday came Jesus was alive! I don't want to get stuck in the disappointment and hurt of Friday because it wasn't the end of the story.
I'm currently reading a book on infertility, How My Soul Yearns, by Ashley Wells. It is a quick little read but has been perfect for where I have been the past couple of days. There were a few quotes in the book that really stood out to me tonight:
"Biblical contentment is not rooted in circumstances but in the infinitely stronger foundation of God himself." -Stephen Altrogge
"When we stake our happiness on anything other than God, we're going to be miserable. Why? Because we were made to worship God and find all our joy in him." - Stephen Altrogge
"God's goodness means that all his greatness is meant to work in your life for your good. Not necessarily your momentary happiness. But your ultimate good." - Steven Furtick
At the end of the service tonight the pastor said many people get stuck on Friday because they believe that being a Christian means you will be showered with tangible blessings. The blessing is in knowing God and what he has done for us; not what he is going to give us. I don't want to become bitter because of infertility and what I don't have right now.
I want to remember that God is good, loving, and all that I need. It doesn't take away my hurts or desires but it gives me somewhere to go with them because he is risen!
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trails of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4