That being said, I'm trying. I'm trying to make dinner for our family most nights. Eating at home is almost always the healthier and cheaper option. Those are both good things.
Here's what I threw together last night. I'm calling it the One Pot Taco Quinoa Wonder.
- Brown 1 lb Ground Turkey - drain and keep meat in the pot.
Dump in the following:
- Garlic (I used one frozen Dorot tab from Trader Joe's)
- Taco Seasoning (Last night I used a packet, but I've been experimenting with making my own - back to the whole healthier option thing).
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock. (I use the organic chicken stock from Costco.)
- Mild Diced Green Chiles (I used about 4 oz. If you want to spice it up this is your chance to throw in some heat by skipping the mild.)
- 1 cup of dried (rinsed) Quinoa (I used Simple Truth Organic Quinoa from King Soopers/Kroger)
Give it a stir and bring to a boil. Give it another stir, throw a lid on, drop the heat to a simmer, set the timer for 15 minutes.
That's it. You can eat it however you want. I chopped up some tomatoes and avocado and threw it on top to make a bowl. Craig ate his in a tortilla. When I went back for seconds - yes, it was that good - I mixed in some organic pinto beans I had in the refrigerator and it was delicious too. Today for lunch I threw it on top of some greens and added tomatoes and dressing. I'm sure it would be great to add in some tomato, corn, or beans into the pot while it cooks as well.
In one night this quickly worked it's way into our list of favorites. The options are endless and I can't wait to make it again. Is tomorrow too soon?