Saturday, September 3, 2011

ch-ch-ch-changes


After a recent medical diagnosis I have had to make a lot of changes. 

The first change has to do with diet:
Basically everything I love and crave has been crossed off the list. No more coke or fancy coffee drinks. I have half a mug of coffee with a sprinkle of cinnamon in the morning and water with lemon the rest of the day. No more french fries, bread throughout the day, pasta for lunch, drive thru dinner when I'm tired. Instead it's lots of fruit and veggies, whole wheat pasta on occasion, and lots of prep work. 

Most of the time I do not feel like cooking which is probably because I do not enjoy cooking. This new diet is a sacrifice that I have to make for my health. (Craig does help me with the cooking and is supportive. Unfortunately, he does not like much of the food that I need to eat. This complicates things a bit. We are trying to figure out how to keep us both fed.)

The second change has to do with exercise:
We've tried P90X but that ends up hurting my back. This week I decided to start the couch to 5K training program. I don't have any plans to run a 5K, but I needed some direction and didn't want to spend money to go to a gym. Earlier today I did my third walk/run. Today was easier than day 1 and 2 so that is good. My legs are sore, my butt is sore, and I stink. Day 4 will  probably be the most difficult yet so I better enjoy this feeling for now. It does feel good to get outside after being at a desk all day. For as long as I can remember I have HATED running so this is sort of a big deal. 

Overall my spirits are high. 
I know these changes are for my good. 
Here's to defeating diabetes and heart disease before they attack!