Sunday, August 21, 2011

Painting is ALMOST Complete!

My dream of a red front door has finally come to be...NEARLY.

Funny that all it took was going to Home Depot to buy some paint. 

Thank you to Nancy Zimmerman (She's the best with paint colors and decorating in general. Her daughter's wedding was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. She needs to quit interior design and do weddings for the stars. I am not kidding! Sorry about that little tangent.) for giving me the perfect "red" color to use.

Saturday afternoon I went to HD and got some primer, paint, painters tape (we ran out) and some new foam rollers. I came home and taped up the knobs and peep hole and got to work. One coat of primer and one thin coat of red went up. As I was waiting for the first coat of red to dry I watched the news. Once the stories started to get scary (A man stole a gun for a cop and was on the loose. He could be anywhere in the state so obviously he was on our street.) I decided it was time to lock up for the night at about 10:00 pm. 

Sunday I made a run to the store to get a smaller paint brush for the panels. Our trusty brush that has been used in just about every room in our house was too big. I came home and got to work with coat #2. Craig came to check it out and reported that I was absolutely right about red and it was looking so good with the second coat. Success! Then coat three went up. Then coat four went up...I have stopped painting for today. From a distance it looks great but up close and personal not at all! It is all kinds of splotchy. Tomorrow I'll throw on another coat after work and see what that does. I knew there was a reason I've never painted anything red before. 

We currently have a very ugly screen door. I want to demo the thing and call it a day, but Craig insists that we must have a screen/storm door. For now we will keep the ugly door that doesn't match any of our new paint scheme or even close all the way! Husband wins this one. I will win in the end when we buy a beautiful new storm door that doesn't block half of our beautiful(fingers crossed!) red front door. Now I just have to figure out how much that will cost so we can save up! 

I'll post some pics once there is a finished project. Here's to hoping it evens out in the next coat or two. I can't imagine having to scrape it down and start over. That would make me very, very sad.