Craig went to work for about one hour before Sammy and I picked him up to head to the main campus of Children's Hospital for our appointment. Let me just say, if you ever have to go to Children's for an appointment Halloween has to be the most fun day of the year. Almost all of the doctors, nurses and staff were dressed up in costumes. So fun!
Dr. Miller and Tony came into the room together. They immediately began discussing if the tenotomy was needed. Sammy is already in the range that they want to achieve for dorsiflection (that is when you flex your foot up. Dr. Miller believed that any extra flexibility we gain would not be maintained in the boots and bar. Tony agreed that he had enough flexibility already. Dr. Miller decided to go ahead and take an x-ray just to ensure the foot looked like they were feeling - the Ponseti method is all done by touch. We walked down the hall to the x-ray room and she was back in our room a few minutes later with pictures.
His foot looked beautiful. The quote of the day was, "I don't know how I can make this foot any better." We'll take it, Dr. Miller! So with that we were waiting to get sized for his boots and bar. I was assuming they would have to be ordered and we would be back in another cast, but I was wrong. We spent some time with Tony learning Sammy's physical therapy exercises. We do stretching with Sammy 3-4 times per day for 10-15 minutes. He gets one hour out of B&B per day.
So with that we are officially in the maintenance stage. They all warned us that it might be a very long weekend as Sammy adjusts to wearing the boots and bar. Of course, our little trooper has transitioned beautifully. I have shed a few tears, but he has done so well. His biggest issue is having stinky feet since he's wearing socks 23 hours per day. Even after a bath I haven't been able to get all of the stink off. Suggestions are welcome!
The first night I had a near breakdown when I tried to put his boots back on for the first time. Unlike the casting stage, we have a ton of responsibility now and it's scary to think we could "mess up" his feet if we don't do our part correctly. We've already called the physical therapist once with some questions. If all goes according to plan he will be in 23 hour per day wear for 3 months. After that he will taper down to wearing the B&B at night and naps. I also had another near breakdown while searching for socks that will actually fit is tiny foot and go up high enough in the boot. I spent close to 5 hours searching and finally randomly came across some in H&M while looking for something else.
There is a 30% relapse rate which is a pretty high percentage. We could do everything right and it could still happen. So for now we will be disciplined with physical therapy and B&B wear and pray. That's all we can do with anything in life. We are so thankful for God's direction, provision, and strength through this process. It's been much easier than I imagine but I know that's because of all the prayer that has surrounded this situation. As always, thank you for your love, prayers and support as we walk this clubfoot journey.
Day of first casting
After last casting!
Boots and Bar

.jpg)